- Athletes interested in Junior Olympics are required to participate in our Competitive Program (Summer) and are strongly encouraged to participate in our Competitive Program offered during the Spring. Our JO team rosters are composed during the Spring Session. It is nearly impossible to be named to one of our Sac Polo JO teams if not participating in the Spring Session. Attendance is taken during the Spring JO practices and will be taken into consideration when selecting our JO teams.
- Athletes interested in Junior Olympics are strongly encouraged to participate in the Central California Zone Invitationals hosted by Sacramento Water Polo in the Winter and Spring.
- Summer practices for all JO athletes: See calendar. Attendance will be taken.
- Scrimmages for all JO athletes every Friday at Sierra College (Summer). Attendance will be taken.
- Participate in the Central California Zone Qualifying Tournament. See the calendar on this website for the tournament dates. Boys typically the third weekend in June. Girls the last weekend in June.
- Participate in the Golden State Invitational: This is a USA WP Signature Event hosted in the Stockton / Lodi region. A three-day tournament with two games Friday, two games Saturday, one game Sunday. Begins the Friday after 4th of July weekend. (See the calendar for exact dates)
- Must be enrolled in the Competitive Program during the summer session.
- $125 for the Central California Zone Junior Olympic Qualifying Tournament (June)
- $125 for the Golden State Invitational (July)
- $200 to $275 for participation in the USA WP National Junior Olympic Championships (late July, early August)
Affiliation Deadline (All athletes):
- Athletes must be registered with Sacramento Water Polo seven (7) days prior to their zone qualifying tournament. (See Central California Zone Qualifying Tournament dates on the Sac Polo calendar)
- April 15th Deadline: Athletes expressing interest in JO participation after April 15th will not be eligible for an "A" team roster spot. Ultimately; the Program Director will make the final decision based upon what is deemed best for the athlete, the respective teams, and the club.
Sacramento Water Polo Rosters:
- April 15th: The Sacramento Water Polo coaching staff will name team rosters no later than April 15th. The coaching staff may make changes to the roster(s) prior to the Central California Zone Qualifying Tournament.
USA WP JO Roster Deadline
- Verified rosters must be submitted to USA WP two weeks prior to the Central California Zone Qualifying Tournament.
- Early July: Limited changes to the roster(s) may be made.
- Mid-July: Roster Lockdown - - No changes allowed after Roster Lockdown.
Recent USA Water Polo National Junior Olympics at a glance
549 teams / 8,047 athletes / 600 coaches / 2,168 games / 24 venues
Sacramento Water Polo is committed to placing as highly as possible in the USA WP National Junior Olympic Championship Tournament. SWP is also committed to make the USA WP NJO experience a positive one for the athletes selected to represent SWP during the USA WP NJO Championship Tournament.
Expectations, Level of Commitment, Participation
- Participation in USA WP JO's is separate from the Competitive Program and there will be additional fees.
- A non-refundable JO Qualifying Tournament commitment payment of $125 is required in order to reserve a potential roster spot. This is collected in January thru April. This $125 deposit will be credited towards athlete entry for the Central California Zone JO Qualifying Tournament(s) and will cover pool costs and coaching staff coverage for the JO practices held during the Spring Session.
- Our official USA WP Junior Olympic rosters will be named within five business days following the conclusion of the JO Qualifying Tournament. 100% of the USA WP National Junior Olympics fee must be paid prior to July 5th. This will prevent athletes from backing out of the USA Water Polo National Junior Olympic Tournament at the last minute and demonstrates commitment to the program.
- Expectations are significantly higher for Sacramento Water Polo JO athletes in terms of practice attendance, tournament participation, etc.
- The team participation fee is exclusive of any additional expenses for parent hotel rooms, food, etc. All athletes that stay in team rooms will share the cost of that room.
- JO athletes will pay for the coaches hotel room, coach per diem, and tournament entry fees. (See item #1: team participation fee.) Sac Polo will place a minimum of two coaches on each team during the USA WP JO Tournament.
- Athletes must be registered in the Sacramento Water Polo Competitive Program.
- Athletes must be registered with USA WP as a Gold Athlete (Club #630) prior to May 31st.
- Athletes must complete the Date of Birth verification on the USA Water Polo website.
- Athletes must attend the Central California Zone Junior Olympic Qualifying Tournament and the Golden State Invitational. (dates / sites posted on the calendar)
- A maximum of 15 athletes per team may be named to a Sacramento Water Polo USA WP National Junior Olympics roster.
- Playing time is NOT guaranteed for all athletes on the roster.
What age division will I be assigned to?
- Your age division is assigned based on your age August 1st.
- EX: If a player is 14 years old on August 1st, that player is eligible to compete in the 14U division. If the athlete turns 15 on July 31st, that athlete is 15 on August 1st and is not eligible to compete in the 14U division. The athlete, of course, is eligible to compete in the 16U division.
2017 USA Water Polo NJO Tournament (Orange County - Southern California)
- Session One: July 22nd - 25th = 10U Mixed, 12U Boys, 14U Boys, 16U Boys, 18U Boys, 21U Men.
- Session Two: July 27th - Jul 30th = 12U Girls, 14U Girls, 16U Girls, 18U Girls, 21U Women.
Sacramento Water Polo Hotel Information
** You must mention Sacramento Water Polo in order to get the preferred room rate.
This hotel is in . . . .
Boys: Check-in Friday, July 21st. Check-out Tuesday, July 25th.
- Team hotel reservation cut-off date for boys is Monday, June . . . . )
Girls: Check-in Wednesday, July 26th. Check-out Sunday, July 30th.
- Team hotel reservation cut-off date for girls is Monday, June . . . . )
Nobody is required to stay at the team hotel. If you have family, friends, have made other arrangements . . . that is fine.
Mandatory Meeting for all Sacramento Water Polo athletes
Boys: Friday, July 21st at 8:00pm in the lobby of the team hotel - - see hotel address above. Meet with coaches, athlete deck passes distributed, athlete JO shirts distributed, last-minute changes, any critical information regarding JO's from USA WP, etc.
Girls: Wednesday, July 26th at 8:00pm in the lobby of the team hotel - - see hotel address above. Meet with coaches, athlete deck passes distributed, athlete JO shirts distributed, last-minute changes, any critical information regarding JO's from USA WP, etc.
Schedule of Games
Find the schedule on the USA Water Polo website. It is usually up a few weeks prior to the tournament and is kept up-to-date throughout the tournament. Athletes meet coaches on the pool deck 45 minutes prior to game starting time.