Sacramento Water Polo has made five trips (2005, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017) to the country generally considered the water polo capital of the world: Hungary. First and foremost this trip is a water polo, cultural immersion. It is strongly recommended that athletes have a minimum of one year high school water polo experience. This is a grinding, physically challenging, long trip.
- All airfare, ground transportation, food, boarding, pool time, tournament entry fees, are covered in the trip cost. Approximate estimate of $3800 - $4300 for a 12-15 day trip. Final cost is dependent upon round-trip airfare costs, the current value of the American dollar, and the exact length of the trip.
- We typically leave from SFO the Monday after girls JO Quals (late June) and return sometime around July 10th.
- Cultural trips and excursions are planned around practices.
- Athletes practice twice a day. 90 minutes to two hours per practice.
- Sacramento Water Polo athletes have competed in tournaments during the trip. It depends upon what other countries are there training at the same time.
- Budapest, Eger, and Pecs are some of the cities in which Sacramento Water Polo has trained. We train with (against) other local clubs in each respective city.
- Athletes do not need a lot of additional pocket money during the trip. There are a few planned excursions that do involve a fee (Danube river cruise, House of Terror Museum, Szechenyi Thermal Spa, etc) The total costs for cultural excursions is less than $100.
Safety: Adult chaperones accompany the Sacramento Water Polo coaches on this trip. Additionally; our Hungarian interpreter and in-country trip leader is present during everything we do. The athletes are safe and unbelievably busy.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Sacramento Water Polo athletes. We try to go every other year in order to give our athletes an opportunity to participate in this immersion. Athletes are closely monitored and chaperoned during the entire trip.
- 12 - 16 athletes is the perfect number for this trip. We have traveled with more. Each trip is unique given the nature of the group.
- Parent chaperones are welcome. Chaperones pay the same trip costs as the athletes. Chaperones will have duties during the trip - - primarily to provide a break for the coaching staff.
- Athletes will sign and adhere to a Code of Conduct.
- Athletes must be members of Sacramento Water Polo in order to participate in the Hungary water polo immersion.